As a civil rights organization, the JACL Detroit Chapter recognizes that a solid education can be critical to personal enrichment, financial security, cultural awareness, and community resilience. We are committed to aiding students in their academic journeys by offering student scholarships to offset the costs of education.
The Taizo Kokubo JACL Scholarship Award perpetuates Taizo Kokubo’s legacy of helping those who are willing to help themselves in gaining the full advantages of and participation in American life through higher learning. We want to do our best to help you succeed!
What are the requirements?
- Scholarships will be awarded in the amount of $1500.
- Scholarships are offered on a rolling basis. There are no set deadlines.
- You are eligible for one (1) scholarship from the Taizo Kokubo Scholarship Fund, regardless of the number of institutions or number of years you attend.
- You should be attending a baccalaureate degree-granting college or university during the school term for which you are awarded the scholarship.
- You do not need to identify as Japanese American. You or a family member need only be a member of the JACL Detroit Chapter for a minimum of two years.
- If you or a family member are not a JACL Detroit Chapter member, you can join by clicking this link and filling out a membership application!
Please contact Mary Kamidoi at email@example.com or (734)522-7917 if you have any questions or concerns.
What other scholarships are available through JACL?
The National JACL also offers additional scholarship opportunities. These scholarships are highly competitive, so be sure to set aside time to complete the written application, and to acquire a letter of recommendation. For more information about National JACL Scholarships, please visit their website!